October 29, 2009

am i the only one?

curious....am i the only person who reads the obit section in my hometown paper? not sure why, but i have been doing this for years. can't explain why, i just do it!

i also read the births, engagement and wedding sections in my hometown paper too.

curious if anyone else is guilty of checking out the obit section? come on, be honest! ;)

~ PLD

10 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

I do...every week! My town has lots of old people so I might not know someone had died otherwise. In fact I wasnt told until after the funeral that a friend in another town died...no one tells me anything so I have to read about it!

Emily Elizabeth said...

I'll admit it I do! I worked for a florist in undergrad and we always had to know the information of all the upcoming funerals.

I guess it just stuck with me. But I looove reading the celebration section too with births, engagements, and anniversaries!

Living Life in the Lowcountry said...

I read the obits in my hometown paper everyday! I read because now a lot of my friends parents are at the age that they are dying and sometimes I even see an old teacher's obit. I like to be able to send a card or sign the online guest book.
One day I was reading and there was my name! That can be a little disturbing as I don't have a really common name and to see it in print in the obit section made my heart skip a beat! I am happy to say it was not me! ;)

Anonymous said...

I do it sometimes. My mom does it all the time. She doesn't live in the area she grew up in.

I think it's more common than we reailize.

Anonymous said...

I don't do this by my mom is totally guilty. She reads all of them every Sunday. I have her report back to me anything that is extra juicy! :o)

Beth Dunn said...

My husband reads the obituaries but I love the society pages. xoxo

SC

Anonymous said...

Nay-nay Miss PLD, you are not the only one! We do the very same thing!

Hope you have a good weekend!
tp

Henley on the Horn said...

I LOVE reading obits... not because I want people I know to no longer be with us, but because it helps me know when to reach out to friends who have lost a family member. I love reading about weddings too!

Nicole-Lynn said...

Thanks for the blog comment! I dont read the obituaries but I do read the engagements/weddings and have been even before I was engaged :)

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Oh yes! You never know who will be in there. Unfortunately once you get to a certain age (like me) you almost need to read it because a lot of times it's my peer's parents or even a peer themselves. Eeek!

I most definitely read the obit section of my college alumni magazine and I'm always shocked to usually see someone I know.